Friday, April 27, 2007

Odalys Garcia Sitting

BattleLure - the sweetest seduction

I admit, I've still not played . But of course I still have an opinion about " BattleLore " published by Richard Borg in 2006 Days of Wonder . BattleLore addresses a few of my basest instincts:
  • It is set in a fantasy / medieval setting embellished
  • It looks incredibly good in
  • It's collectible, expandable and upgradeable
These are all bad things. Only 2 years ago I would have long since removed the flags flying and the game would be gone after drooling. The fact that I made it so long (6 months?) To resist the temptation gives me hope that I have seen the worst.


BattleLore offers a lot. The game system is designed from the outset to remain attractive on the basis of numerous scenarios and small and large extensions. Even in the basic game even in the scenario tape to find different challenges at different levels. These are, for example, purely "historical" scenarios, without any influence of magic or fantasy races and later magically-inspired battle rosters, with magicians, priests, and fireballs.

It is this variability, I personally find it unfortunately also has a disadvantage. With such a large number of games that are active players in my care, I saw no chance to exhaust the possibilities of the box. Another disadvantage of completely personal BattleLore is the restriction to only two players. It is not indeed a abstract two-player game , but I would rather just play with several people.

(Note:... Yes, I know there is a chance to play with multiple people on one side, so to speak in the team, I already know of Memoir '44 I do not mean this is just not the same. .)

I hope for Days of Wonder, that this concept works. Me personally, this approach provides too little or perhaps too much.

Why write I still about? Because the idea of me but of course intrigued. Days of Wonder has prepared a number of years this game. When Richard Borg with the first version of this game show was, it was the publisher simply too complex. To a powerful challenge. First, the world's small steps ( Memoir '44 and its expansions) prepared for this game and the windfall by the title of "Game of the Year" for train to train certainly has not hurt either. Days of Wonder, if you look at the development of the publishing house over the years, become increasingly opulent by far games experience, particularly in the segment of superior equipment, board games. This is now complemented by BattleLore.

Another reason for the fascination exerted is the fact that BattleLore finally again a counterpoint to the fast pace of trying to put games market. When the publisher plays out his cards right and can bind in the long run, new players to this system, this will be worth it. Far too many games these days disappear after a few months already from the shelves. Of course, so as to meet very soon good and possibly better games. This is normal. to place a game on the market, which is the shelf space divided with short-lived items such as The Tower of Babel , Mexica or future games, but has the planned continuity of a high recognition value, there can only be of benefit.

But for this success is possible, it needs to Days of Wonder, but actually To create to keep the player in the first hour at the bar and win regularly, especially new players. To what extent is possible that remains to be seen. Problems I see especially when the initial investment, the future players are willing to pay. Who get into 5 years in the BattleLore system would certainly not buy more all the previous expansions. There desperately needs a good idea.

I will BattleLore distance objective and pursue interests in particular. Maybe, yes, MAYBE I dare even at some point to play. have no fear of having to succumb to this sweet temptation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment